User name: Password: 19. October 2018, Michaela
Index History Sights Places Catalog
chat.stříbro.cz | počasí.stříbro.cz | infocentrum.stříbro.cz



Sights



Town hall

The original building of the town hall was replaced by the present Renaissance building in 1543. A fire damaged the town hall building in 1588.

The cupola was built in baroque style. The reconstrucion of the facade and grafitti were projected by professor V. Schwerdtwer and they were both realized at the same time.

The grafitti represent:
  • the foundation of the town by Soběslav I. in 1131
  • the defense against the crusaders in 1427
  • the godess of justice

The back wing of the town hall was built between 1883 and 1888.

The town hall was reconstructed inside in Baroque style, too. The garden house next to the town hall originates from the 18th century. The last reconstruction of the town hall building took place in the 1970´s.

Plague column

This column was built between 1740 and 1762, because of protection against the plague. The whole sculpture group with Madona is 14 metres high.
The main column is surrounded by 12 stone statues of the Czech saint patrons. The author of the composition is probably Lazar Widmann.


Diaconian All Saint Church

The church was originally built in Gothic style. The new church was built at the place in 1565. This building´s tower, the west front and a part of the choir have been preserved until nowadays. The rest of the capacious building comes from the middle of the 18th century, when it was rebuilt in Baroque style. The ceiling of the central nave was decorated with a fresco by J. Lux between 1760 and 1766. The main altar comes from 1762, it`s author is E. Dollhopf.

Jewish Gate

There is a Jewish Gate in the centre of the town. A simple vault connects the walls in a narrow lane.We know,that there was a Jewish settlement in Stříbro. You can see a sundail on the wall next to the Jewish Gate.

Hussite Bastion

The Hussitte Bastion is the only one of all the original bastions, which has been preserved. The semicylinder tower building was later changed to an object for living. There was a small exhibition gallery in the 1990´s and there is a restaurant, now. The older defensive wall system originally surrounded the royal town. It was a very interesting situation in the 16th century. The south and the west peripheries situated on the hill above the river changed into the so-called New Town. This New Town was surrounded by walls and gates. Three gates were used for coming to the town through the outward town walls. The first one was situated at the end of Benešova Street next to the crossing with Husova Street. It was called "Upper Cheb", "Imperial" or "New gate". This gate was demolished in 1877 by architect Ondřej Diemling. He received 225 golden coins for it, the second gate - "Lower" ("Prague") Gate was situated in the serpentine at the end of Spálená Street (the present name is "Jiřího z Poděbrad") betwen houses with numbers 35 and 37. The gate was demolished in 1839. The last gate was Koubek´s Gate. The preserved visible parts of the town walls stand until nowadays.

Cemetery Virgin Mary Assumption Church

This is a Cemetery Church of Virgin Mary Assumption. In the time of the mining settlement it was rebuilt many times. It was destroyed during the Hussite uprising. The present simple building has 1 nave and it was built between 1573 and 1574 by master Honzík. The cementery which was originally situated round the church was licvidated. Iron artistic crosses from the cemetery are in the depository of the museum.

Cemetery Virgin Mary Assumption Church

This is a Cemetery Church of Virgin Mary Assumption. In the time of the mining settlement it was rebuilt many times. It was destroyed during the Hussite uprising. The present simple building has 1 nave and it was built between 1573 and 1574 by master Honzík. The cementery which was originally situated round the church was licvidated. Iron artistic crosses from the cemetery are in the depository of the museum.

Koubek´s Gate

Koubek's gate was built by a miller Koubek in 1574. Its ground plan is oblong. The building has two floors and a sellar roof. The suspension of the wooden gallery is very interesting. Koubek built this gate to go to the town a shorter way.

Bridge Tower

The tower gate was perphaps built together with the bridge, between 1555 and 1560. We can find the name of the builder in registrations it was Benedikt Volch from Terrolu in Spain. The tower has a square foundations and it has 2 floors. It`s roof is pyramidal. There is a town emblem and a Czech legend from the 16th century above the portal.

Ruins of the Mary Magdalene´s Church

The Church was originally called St. Augustin Church. It belonged to the Minor Monastery, which was founded in the first the 13th century. The church fell into disrefair and t it was rebuilt in Baroque style between 1753 and 1754. The church vaults the tower and the main front were demolished in the beginning of the 19th century. The new school was built at the same place.

Minorite Monastery

The beginning of the convent is related to founding of the royal town about before the first half of the 13th century. The first centuries of the existence were filled of spiritual activity and gradual building of monastic complex. It was not always easy, because the basic livelihood was picking up alms devout legacy of believers or dispensation of parish duties. The church and the convent building were radically rebuilt in Baroque style in the first half of the18th century. This reconstruction changed medieval character of the buildings. The rebuilt monastery was canceled in 1785. In these days there is a seat of the Town Museum in Stříbro.

St. Peter´s Chapel

This Gothic chapel is the last building, which has been preseved from the original settlement Doubravka. The one-nave chapel has a rectangular presbytery and it was built at the beginning of the 14th century. We can find the remains of the mural paintings inside the simple interior. Only one artefact from the chapel is kept at the Town Museum, it is a Baroque tabular picture of Prince Wenceslav.
infocentrum.stříbro.cz | počasí.stříbro.cz | www.softag.cz